The Aptivus dosage your doctor recommends will vary. Some of the factors that will affect your dosage include your age and how well you respond to the drug. For adults, the recommended dose is 500 mg, taken twice a day with 200 mg of ritonavir. To maintain an even level of medication in your blood, make sure to take your dose of Aptivus at the same times every day.
The dose of Aptivus® (tipranavir) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Your height and weight (for children)
- How you respond to Aptivus.
Dosage of Aptivus for AdultsAptivus is always combined with ritonavir (Norvir®), another HIV medication that increases the level of Aptivus in the blood and helps it work better. The recommended dose of Aptivus for treating adults with HIV or AIDS is Aptivus 500 mg twice daily with ritonavir 200 mg twice daily. Both medications should be taken at the same time.
Aptivus Dosing for ChildrenYour child's healthcare provider will calculate an appropriate Aptivus dose based on your child's weight or body surface area (a calculation that takes into account both height and weight).
Considerations for people taking Aptivus include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule and oral solution (liquid) form. It is usually taken by mouth twice daily.
- Aptivus is always used along with ritonavir, and the two drugs should be taken at the same time. If combined with ritonavir tablets, the medications should always be taken with food. If combined with ritonavir capsules or oral solution (liquid), the medications can be taken with or without food.
- Try to take Aptivus at the same times every day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions about taking Aptivus. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing resistance to the medicine, thereby making it less effective.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Aptivus dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.