AIDS Home > Combivir Dosage
The prescribed Combivir dosage is the same for everyone, regardless of factors such as weight or other medical conditions. The drug comes in tablet form and is typically taken twice a day. It's important that you follow your healthcare provider's guidelines carefully, as missing your Combivir dosage can decrease the medication's effectiveness. It should also be taken in combination with other HIV medications.
Combivir Dosage: An IntroductionThere is only one standard dose of Combivir® (lamivudine/zidovudine), regardless of your weight or other factors. However, the drug is not recommended for certain people, since the dose of the individual components of Combivir cannot be adjusted separately.
As always, do not adjust your Combivir dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Combivir Dosage for HIV or AIDSThe recommended dose of Combivir when treating adults and children who weigh 66 pounds or more with HIV or AIDS is one Combivir tablet (containing 150 mg of lamivudine and 300 mg of zidovudine) twice daily. Combivir should be used in combination with other HIV medications as part of an HIV "cocktail" (this is known as highly active antiretroviral therapy or HAART).
Combivir is generally not recommended for children who weigh less than 66 pounds or for people with liver or kidney disease, as the dose of the individual components of the drug cannot be properly adjusted, since Combivir comes in only one strength. Instead, the two components (lamivudine and zidovudine) should be taken separately.
General Information on Dosing With CombivirConsiderations for people taking Combivir include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth twice a day.
- You can take Combivir with or without food. If the medicine bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Try to take Combivir at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions for taking Combivir. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing resistance to Combivir, which may make it less effective.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Combivir dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.