AIDS Home > Complera Dosage
Although it contains three different medications, there is only one standard dosage of Complera for treating HIV or AIDS. This dosing amount is one tablet taken once daily with a meal. It is important not to miss any tablets, as doing so can decrease the effectiveness of Complera and make the HIV virus resistant to the effects of the drug.
An Introduction to Dosing With CompleraThere is only one standard dose for Complera™ (emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate), regardless of your age or weight. As always, do not adjust your Complera dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Complera Dosage for Treating HIV or AIDSThe standard dose of this medication is one tablet taken once a day with a meal. Complera is not appropriate for people who need a lower dosage of any of the individual components, such as people with moderate or severe kidney disease.
Complera is approved only for use in adults. Therefore, there are no standard dosing recommendations for use in children.
This medication comes in one strength, containing the following active ingredients in the following amounts per tablet:
- Emtricitabine -- 200 mg
- Rilpivirine hydrochloride -- 27.5 mg (equivalent to 25 mg of rilpivirine)
- Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate -- 300 mg.
General Information on Taking CompleraSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Complera include the following:
- Complera comes as a tablet that is taken once a day with a meal. This means that the medicine must be taken with a full, "real" meal; a protein shake does not count as a meal.
- Try to take it at the same time every day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions for taking the medicine. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing a resistance to Complera, potentially making it less effective.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Complera dosage, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.