AIDS Home > More Medications Prescribed for HIV

Entry Inhibitors
These are a fairly new group of HIV drugs. They work totally different than other medications from HIV. Instead of working from the inside of cells, entry inhibitors actually work to stop HIV from entering human cells. This group of medications includes those drugs that prevent the virus from connecting to human cells (known as fusion inhibitors), although sometimes fusion inhibitors are considered a separate class. Entry inhibitor medications include:
Integrase Inhibitors
This group is the newest of all HIV medications. Currently, there are two medications in this class: raltegravir (Isentress®) and elvitegravir (part of the combination drug Stribild®). Raltegravir inhibits an enzyme called integrase, which is necessary for the viral DNA to be inserted into the human DNA. By inhibiting integrase, raltegravir helps to prevent the virus from making new copies of itself. It is important to remember that raltegravir is not a cure for HIV or AIDS.
Combination Medications From Different Classes
There are many different combination HIV drugs available. These drugs are usually best used as part of an HIV "cocktail." These cocktails usually consist of three or four (or sometimes five) different medications (technically known as Highly Active Anti-Retroviral Therapy, or HAART). Using a combination of medications for HIV helps to prevent the virus from becoming resistant to one or more of the drugs.
In order to help reduce the number of pills that must be taken, many of these medications are combined in one capsule or tablet. Sometimes, these medications combine drugs from different classes, such as:
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Arthur Schoenstadt, MD
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation

Topics & Medications


Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.