AIDS Home > Intelence Overdose
The exact effects of an overdose with Intelence (etravirine) are unknown at this time. If you happen to take too much, your stomach may be pumped, or activated charcoal may be given, to limit the amount of Intelence absorbed by the body. Seek immediate medical care if you think you have overdosed on this medication.
Can You Take Too Much Intelence?Intelence® (etravirine) is a prescription medication used for AIDS and HIV treatment in adults and children at least six years of age. It is part of a group of medicines known as non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs). It is not clear exactly what to expect from an Intelence overdose, but it is likely that the effects will vary depending on several factors, such as the Intelence dosage and whether it is taken with any other medicines, alcohol, food, or street drugs.
There is very little information available about Intelence overdoses. Therefore, it is not known what type of symptoms to expect from taking too much of the medication. The highest dose given in clinical trials was 400 mg at one time, which is equivalent to the usual Intelence dose.
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of drug absorbed into the body.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive care for an Intelence overdose will include close monitoring of vital signs, such as heart rate, blood pressure, and temperature.
Dialysis is not expected to be useful for removing Intelence from the body.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have taken too much Intelence.