AIDS Home > Norvir Dosage
The recommended Norvir dosage for adults is 600 mg twice a day. To help prevent side effects, your healthcare provider may start you on a lower dose, such as 300 mg twice daily. When Norvir is used to "boost" other HIV medications, a lower dosage is also used. When treating HIV or AIDS in children, Norvir dosing is determined by the child's height and weight.
- Your age
- Your height and weight (for children)
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
Norvir Dosage for AdultsThe recommended dose of Norvir for treating adults with HIV or AIDS is 600 mg twice daily. Your healthcare provider may suggest that you start at a lower dosage (Norvir 300 mg twice daily) and slowly increase the dose to prevent Norvir side effects.
Norvir Dosage for ChildrenYour child's healthcare provider will determine the Norvir dose based on your child's body surface area (which is calculated using your child's height and weight). Be sure the healthcare provider increases the dose as your child grows.
- The medication comes in capsule, tablet, and oral solution (liquid) form. It is usually taken by mouth twice a day.
- Norvir should be taken with food.
- Be sure to swallow the tablets whole (do not break, chew, crush, or dissolve them).
- The taste of Norvir solution can be improved by mixing it with chocolate milk, Ensure®, or Advera®. Be sure to drink the mixture within one hour of mixing it.
- Try to take Norvir at the same times every day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions about taking Norvir. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing resistance to the medication, thereby making it less effective.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Norvir dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.