AIDS Home > Reyataz Dosage
For adults who have never been on HIV medications before, the recommended dose of Reyataz is 400 mg once a day. However, that dosage may be changed if the patient is also taking medications such as Tagamet, Sustiva, or Viread. Adults who have been on HIV therapy before are often prescribed a dose of Reyataz 300 mg and Norvir 100 mg once a day (this dosage may also be changed depending on whether other drugs are being taken).
The dose of Reyataz® (atazanavir sulfate) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking
- Other HIV or AIDS medications you have taken in the past.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Reyataz Plus NorvirIn many situations, it is recommended that Reyataz be taken with Norvir® (ritonavir), another HIV medication that is used to increase the level of Reyataz in the blood, making it more effective. Taking Reyataz without Norvir (if the combination is recommended) could result in blood levels that are too low to be effective.
Reyataz Dosage for Adults (No Previous HIV Drug Use)For adults who have not taken HIV drugs before ("therapy-naïve" individuals), the recommended dose is 400 mg (two Reyataz 200 mg capsules) once daily with food. However, a different dose is recommended if you take any of the following medications that can decrease the level of Reyataz in the blood:
- Efavirenz (Sustiva®) -- Reyataz 400 mg plus Norvir 100 mg, all once daily with food (and efavirenz should be taken on an empty stomach, preferably at bedtime).
- Tenofovir (Viread®) -- Reyataz 300 mg plus Norvir 100 mg, all once daily with food.
- H2 blockers, such as cimetidine (Tagamet®), famotidine (Pepcid®), nizatidine (Axid®), or ranitidine (Zantac®) -- Reyataz 300 mg plus Norvir 100 mg, all once daily with food, taken at the same time as and/or at least ten hours after the H2 blocker dose. Your healthcare provider may limit how much of the H2 blocker you may take, as well. If you cannot tolerate Norvir, the recommended dose is Reyataz 400 mg plus Norvir 100 mg once daily with food at least two hours before and at least ten hours after the H2 blocker dose.
- Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), such as esomeprazole (Nexium®), lansoprazole (Prevacid®), omeprazole (Prilosec®), pantoprazole (Protonix®), or rabeprazole (AcipHex®) -- Reyataz 300 mg plus Norvir 100 mg, all once daily with food, taken about 12 hours after the PPI dose. Your healthcare provider may limit how much of the PPI you may take, as well.