AIDS Home > More Information on Selenium
Are There Side Effects?Normal intakes of selenium do not seem to cause side effects for most people. However, a high intake can cause serious, even life-threatening, problems.
Drug Interactions With SeleniumSelenium can potentially interact with several medications (see Selenium Drug Interactions).
Safety IssuesEven though normal intakes are safe and necessary, higher intakes can cause serious problems. Some people are more likely than others to experience problems. Therefore, you should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking selenium if you have:
- An underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
- Male infertility
- Skin cancer (or a history of skin cancer)
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Selenium and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Selenium and Breastfeeding).