AIDS Home > Viracept Dosage
The recommended Viracept dosage for the treatment of HIV or AIDS in adults is 1250 mg twice a day or 750 mg three times daily. For children 2 to 13 years old, Viracept dosing is determined by the child's weight. As your child grows and gains weight, make sure that his or her healthcare provider adjusts the dose as necessary.
The dose of Viracept® (nelfinavir mesylate) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age and weight
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As always, do not adjust your Viracept dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended Viracept dose for treating adults with HIV or AIDS is 1250 mg (either five 250 mg tablets or two 625 mg tablets) twice daily or 750 mg (three 250 mg tablets) three times daily.
For treating HIV or AIDS in children 2 to 13 years old, your child's healthcare provider will calculate the dosage based on your child's current weight. Either the tablets or oral powder can be used. As your child grows and gains weight, be sure that your child's healthcare provider adjusts the dose as necessary.
Considerations for people taking Viracept include the following:
- Viracept comes in tablet and powder form. It is usually taken by mouth two to three times daily.
- Viracept should be taken with a meal.
- Viracept tablets may be dissolved in water. Allow the tablet(s) to dissolve in a small amount of water, stir well, and drink. Rinse the glass with more water (and drink the rinse water to get the full dose).
- Each dose of Viracept powder can be dissolved in water, milk, baby formula, soy formula, or soy milk. Once a dose is mixed, all the liquid must be consumed in order to get the full dose. If necessary, the mixed liquid can be stored in the refrigerator for up to six hours. Do not mix Viracept powder with acidic liquids (like most juices or applesauce), since this may create a bitter taste.
- Try to take Viracept at the same times every day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions about taking Viracept. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing resistance to Viracept (making it less effective).
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Viracept dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.