AIDS Home > What You Need to Know About Viracept
- Viracept comes in tablet and powder form. It is usually taken by mouth two to three times daily.
- It should be taken with a meal.
- Viracept tablets may be dissolved in water. Allow the tablet(s) to dissolve in a small amount of water, stir well, and drink. Rinse the glass with more water (and drink the rinse water to get the full dose).
- Each dose of Viracept powder can be dissolved in water, milk, baby formula, soy formula, or soy milk. Once a dose is mixed, all the liquid must be consumed in order to get the full dose. If necessary, the mixed liquid can be stored in the refrigerator for up to six hours. Do not mix Viracept powder with acidic liquids (like most juices or applesauce), since this may create a bitter taste.
- Try to take it at the same times every day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions about taking Viracept. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing resistance to Viracept (making it less effective).
- Your age and weight
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.