AIDS Home > Viramune Overdose
In cases where people took too much Viramune, overdose symptoms included swelling or water retention, insomnia, fatigue, and fever. The symptoms appeared to go away as soon as the medication was stopped. It is not known how to best treat a Viramune overdose, but treatment may include certain medicines, "pumping the stomach," or supportive care.
Viramune® (nevirapine) is a prescription AIDS and HIV treatment. It belongs to a class of medications known as non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs). Viramune overdose effects will vary depending on a number of factors, including the Viramune dosage and whether it is taken with any other medicines, alcohol, food, or street drugs.
If you happen to overdose on Viramune, seek medical attention immediately.
In reported cases of Viramune overdose, people experienced the following symptoms:
- Swelling or water retention (known medically as edema)
- A spinning sensations (vertigo)
- Weight loss.
In these cases, the symptoms went away once Viramune was stopped.
It is not known how to best treat a Viramune overdose. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment will involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Viramune.